Dietary modifications such as eating less fat, sugar, and salt; eating more fiber, vitamins, and minerals are essential to maintain a healthy liver1.
Here are a few suggestions that can act as a quick reference guide for the foods to eat and avoid.
Foods for a healthy liver
Grains, fruits, vegetables, foods high in protein (could be plant-based too), and low-fat dairy products or foods high in calcium must be regularly included in the diet.
Foods that are rich in dietary fiber such as fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, rice, and cereals can help in optimizing the liver function.
Low-fat or skimmed dairy products can be included in the diet2.
It is beneficial to consume 2.7 to 3.7 L of water per day to prevent dehydration and help the liver to function better2,3.
Polyunsaturated fats can also be included in the diet as they protect against the development of chronic liver diseases.
Foods to avoid
Avoid foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt. Meats such as beef, pork, and lamb are high in saturated fats that may result in the accumulation of fatty acids in the liver2,4,5.
Avoid beverages, foods with added sugars such as candies and cookies, and alcohol as they may result in conditions such as fatty liver disorders.
Also, fast foods are generally high in salt and fat content, which can result in liver damage2,6.
- British Liver Trust. Diet and liver disease. https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk. Accessed February 4, 2022.
- American Liver Foundation. Liver disease diets. https://liverfoundation.org. Accessed February 4, 2022.
- Mayo Clinic. Nutrition and healthy eating. Water: how much should you drink every day? http://www/mayoclinic.org/. Published September 6, 2017. Accessed February 4, 2022.
- Freedman ND, et al. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102 (17):1354-1365.
- American Heart Association. Meat, poultry, and fish: picking healthy proteins. https://www.heart.org/. Reviewed November 1, 2021. Accessed February 2. 2022.
- Koumbi L. World J Hepatol. 2017; 9(3):119-125.
Source: Evecare. Diet for a Healthy Liver. 2022;9(4):12.
Check out the General Health section for more blog posts on health, diet, and so on.
Explore the Himalaya Wellness blog for more useful articles.
Visit the Himalaya Wellness store to explore our 600+ products.