Menstrual cramps are the most common and bothersome aspect of a menstrual cycle.
Many women experience cramps regularly, and the pain can range from being mild to severe.
Here are some tips that can be recommended to ease/manage cramps.1
Manage Menstrual Cramps with these simple ways
1. Healthy and Balanced Diet
Avoiding high-fat foods and consuming a low-fat and high-fiber diet including green leafy vegetables, whole grains, lentils and beans, fruits, and nuts help alleviate menstrual cramps.
Intake of vitamins E, B1, and B6; magnesium; zinc; and omega-3 fatty acids is beneficial.
Salt intake should be kept under check, and alcohol consumption should be avoided.2
Read: Dietary Habits and Their Effects on Menstrual Cycles in Young Women
2. Adequate Water
Drinking water regularly helps keep the body hydrated and replenish fluids in the body.2
Water also plays a key role in reducing the intensity of the pain experienced during menstruation.3
3. Heat Therapy
Heat therapy can help relax the abdominal muscles responsible for cramping.
Applying superficial heat (using heat pads, hot water bottles, or heat wraps) on the abdominal area can help alleviate pain.4
Exercising helps reduce mental stress. High-intensity exercises such as running and jogging may not be appropriate.
Instead, yoga poses (eg, cobra pose, cat-cow pose, and fish pose) and breathing exercises can be beneficial in reducing painful cramps.5
Read: Easy Exercises for Managing Premenstrual Syndrome
- WebMD. Menstrual cramps. https://www/webmd.com/women/mentrual -cramps. Published August 14, 2020. Accessed November 12, 2021.
- WebMD. 13 Ways to get rid of your period cramps. https://www/webmd.com/women/ss/slideshow-get-rid-of-cramps. Accessed November 12, 2021.
- Torkan B, et al. BMC Women’s Health. 2021;21(1):40.
- Sparks D. Home remedies: managing menstrual cramps. https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/. Published November 14, 2018. Accessed November 12, 2021.
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Yoga exercises and menstrual cramps. https://ww.nationwidechildren.org/. Accessed November 12, 2021.
Source: Evecare. Simple Ways to Manage Menstrual Cramps. 2021;9(3):10.
Check out the Women's Health section for more posts on health, and diet.
Explore the Himalaya Wellness blog for more useful articles.
Visit Himalaya Wellness online store to explore our 600+ products.